Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 14:14:34 -0700
From:      "Scott Worthington" <SWorthington@hsag.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <wmptl@MNSi.Net>
Subject:   Re: cron difficulties

Alright, Nathan... I'm not sure that anyone has really helped you with
your cron problem.

Here's what is going on (and how to solve the problem):

Your cron'ed software is generating output, there are two kinds:
standard output
standard error

This is controlled by your shell.  To learn more, type 'man sh'
Press the '/' key and type in standard error.

Okay, here's the problem with your cron:
You are going to redirect the standard out AND standard error to the
device null.

nameofcommand 2>&1 > /dev/null

'nameofcommand' is the command that you want run
2>&1 tell the shell that both the standard error and standard output
are going to be redirected (NOT PIPED) to the device /dev/null
which 'throws the data into the bit bucket--bye'.

Let us know your results.

>>> "Windsor Match Plate and Tool Ltd." <wmptl@MNSi.Net> 1999-06-24 =
11:09:29 AM >>>
We have a problem with cron, and are not sure how to fix it. We have two
scripts that run every two minutes, the problem being that every two
minutes root is getting mail about it. How does one turn of cron's mailto
ability, bear in mind that we're using FreeBSD 2.2.6, and that the =
manpages
were of little help. I've tried calling cron with the following, (none
worked):
.
.
.

If anyone out there knows how turn off the mail feature of cron altogether
that would be nice, if not for just the cron jobs that are causing
annoyances, a copy of the /etc/crontab follows appends this note.

Nathan Vidican
Windsor Match Plate & Tool Ltd.