Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:10:30 +1100
From:      Norberto Meijome <numardbsd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsdemail@gmail.com, FreeBSD Questions ML <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: System lockup when out of space in /usr

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 06:14:24 +0000
freebsdemail@gmail.com wrote:

> I personally have /usr/ports and /usr/src on their own "partitions". Easy to
> do and prevents lockups.

right ... still doesn't solve my problem .

> Where is /usr currently mounted, on root(/)?

standard disk layout - /usr is a separate mount on /

/dev/ad0s1a on / (ufs, local, noatime)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/ad0s1e on /tmp (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
/dev/ad0s1f on /usr (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
/dev/ad0s1d on /var (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
linprocfs on /usr/compat/linux/proc (linprocfs, local)
devfs on /var/named/dev (devfs, local)
/dev/md12.eli on /usr/home/betom/_2 (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
/dev/md11.eli on /usr/home/betom/_3 (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)
/dev/md13.eli on /usr/home/betom/_1 (ufs, local, noatime, soft-updates)

IIRC, it may  also have happened when one of the GELI disks got full...

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it."
   George Bernard Shaw