Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 23:52:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ben Manes <anarchy@crl.com>
To:        dmp@aracnet.com
Cc:        "Le, Dat" <DLe@vcomcss1.telstra.com.au>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partitions

> For FreeBSD, I believe you just have to get the root partition under
> the 1024th cylinder.  One trick that works for me is a slight mod on
> the solution you gave: make two slices for FreeBSD.  The first slice
> goes at the front of the disk and holds the root partition.  The
> second can go whereever, and holds the remaining partitions.

The annoying part about that is its not as elegent. Linux seperating the
kernel from root seems a little better organized, and less prone to dumb
administration. Doing this trick for both Linux and FreeBSD might not be
needed in his situation, as neither were needed in my example. Its good
to know, and to remember that its easy to implement with disklabel (while
the Linux varient is not as friendly depending on install program).

Also, by using both, it gets wasteful and complex. Each partition takes
space, makes the layout harder to work around, adds extra annoyancies
when trying to mount another OS's partition (remembering which are the
boot partitins), etc.

In any case, the next stage is to write a final layout with sizes, who (if
any) has the special boot partitions, and making sure the little problems
(ie, cylinders) are resolved. Then comes install, then boot management,
then bragging to friends, then fun.