Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2002 11:19:33 +1300
From:      rshea@opendoor.co.nz
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Upgrade 3.4 -> 4.4

Hi - I've got a 3.4 machine I want to upgrade to 4.4. I've got the 4 CD's ready to go and
I suspect that if I just stuffed the install CD in I would get told what to do but this
machine is rather important to me so ... can anyone explain what's going to happen if I
try to upgrade 3.4 to 4.4.

In particular :

1. what's going to happen to the existing installations of :

Apache/PHP
MySQL
Samba
NATD
IPFW
Perl

I'm hoping that they will be effectively untouched (with the possible exception of IPFW -
see question 2) is that correct ?

2. I recompiled the Kernel to support running IPFW after the initial installation was
done. Am I going to have to redo that or is there some option I can take during the
install to achieve the same effect ?

3. What's going to happen to users/groups etc ?

4. Are config files such as inetd.conf going to get overwritten ?

thanks in advance

richard shea.

Open Door Ltd
PO Box 119-46