Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 1999 15:00:03 -0500
From:      "Allen Pulsifer" <pulsifer@mediaone.net>
To:        "Mike Morgan" <mikemorgan@homenetwork.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: freebsd and NT

The BIOS always boots to the first disk, where NT is installed.
If you want it to load the FreeBSD boot manager, you have to
make sure the FreeBSD boot manager gets installed on the
first disk.  There is a way to do this during the install
process, but its requires you to explicitly select the first
disk and make some non-obvious menu choices.  So this
probably didn't happen when you installed.

According to the documentation, you can use the program
called BOOTINST.EXE in the TOOLS directory on the CDROM
to install the FreeBSD boot manager.

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING, I STRONGLY ADVISE YOU TO BACK UP YOU
MASTER BOOT RECORD (MBR) FIRST, BECAUSE IT ALSO CONTAINS YOUR
PARTITION TABLES.  There is a good shareware program you
can use called STB.COM.  This program can be downloaded at
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/garbo/garbo_pc/sysutil/stbfp20.zip

YOU NEED TO BACKUP YOUR MBR TO A DOS BOOTABLE FLOPPY DISK
AND MAKE SURE YOU PUT A COPY OF STB.COM ON THE DISK, TOO.

Allen