Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 2020 17:51:04 +0100
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is the "better / best " method to multi-boot different OSes natively WITHOUT VirtualBox(es) ?

On Mon, 2020-10-26 at 15:30 +0000, RW via freebsd-questions wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 17:33:21 +0100
> Polytropon wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 06:50:25 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > > I also want to add for consideration, if reboots between operating
> > > systems are often wanted and HDDs are used, it's way better when all
> > > drives, even the unused drives are spinning all the time. Parking
> > > and releasing heads very often, does shorten the life span the
> > > most.
>
> I think this is mostly a myth.

In my experiences it isn't a myth. The intern HDDs of my PCs did last
for around 2 years, when turning the computer off and on several times a
day and they did last for around 7 years, if the machine runs more or
less 24/7.

> A few year ago Western Digital made some green drives, with extremely
> aggressive power saving, that parked within seconds. With some usage
> patters these could fail in months. I think it was around this time
> that people started talking about heads as if they were like sledge
> hammers.

This is not true. I'm the owner of such an external green WD drive. It
does park the heads and if people aren't careful right after parking
something like gvfs or smartd etc. does wake up the drive immediately,
for absolutely no reasons. There probably were a few drives where this
happened every few seconds, but more common is, that it happens after
around 30 minutes, which already is way to often. If you remove gvfs,
don't enable smartd etc. those green drives get very old. Mine already
is very old and still alive. It should be years older than this dummy
package, I build in 2013 to fulfill idiotic hard dependencies against
gvfs.

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ pacman -Qi gvfs
Name            : gvfs
Version         : 2013.08.18-1
Description     : Dummy package
Architecture    : any
URL             : None
Licenses        : None
Groups          : None
Provides        : gvfs
Depends On      : None
Optional Deps   : None
Required By     : caja  libgnome  nautilus  nemo
Optional For    : evince  ffmpegthumbnailer  inkscape  thunar
Conflicts With  : dummy
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 4.00 KiB
Packager        : Unknown Packager
Build Date      : Sun 18 Aug 2013 18:06:40 CEST
Install Date    : Fri 06 Sep 2013 12:34:40 CEST
Install Reason  : Explicitly installed
Install Script  : No
Validated By    : None

These days home drives at 2TB or bigger are usually shingled - often
without any mention, even on the data sheets.

All inexpensive TiB drives are SMR drives. There's no data sheet needed.
If the drive is inexpensive, then it must be a SMR drive. Btw. I'm using
a lot of external, inexpensive "Toshiba P300 - Desktop" drives.