Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 18:51:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        jobaldwi@vt.edu (John Baldwin)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why are NIS netgroups  ignored...

John Baldwin wrote,
> On 21-Mar-99 Crist J. Clark wrote:
> > John Baldwin wrote,
> > OK, next questions. ;) Does,
> >
> > % ypcat -x
> >
> > Show that the netgroup maps are being transfered to the machine in
> > question?
>
> Apparently not:
>
> > ypcat -x
> Use "passwd" for "passwd.byname"
> Use "master.passwd" for "master.passwd.byname"
> Use "group" for "group.byname"
> Use "networks" for "networks.byaddr"
> Use "hosts" for "hosts.byaddr"
> Use "protocols" for "protocols.bynumber"
> Use "services" for "services.byname"
> Use "aliases" for "mail.aliases"
> Use "ethers" for "ethers.byname"

OK, then I am starting to think it is a server problem, not the
client. The server does not seem to be pushing the netgroup
maps. But...

> > Do Digital UNIX and FreeBSD use the same format for netgroups (the
> > 'COMPATIBILTY' note on the manpage)?
>
> Yes.  In fact, this actual machine is the master NIS server.  There is one
> Digital UNIX slave server, and the Digital UNIX clients insist on using it as
> their server, while the FreeBSD clients insist on using the master server as
> their server.  I can use ypcat and ypmatch with the netgroup map just fine
> however.

Now I am really confused. The FreeBSD machine is the master, but it
does not have the /etc/netgroup file? Which machines have which files,
and on which machine do the ypcat and ypmatch commands work? And on
which machines do they not work? Are all of these machines on the
same LAN? Do you have a master and slave on the same LAN?

Sorry if I missed understood something somewhere.