Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2006 14:33:56 -0700
From:      "David Christensen" <davidch@broadcom.com>
To:        "Sam Eaton" <sam@fqdn.net>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: [sam@fqdn.net: bce0 watchdog timeout errors]

> I see looking through the archives that Julian Elischer has reported
> something *vaguely* similar to my problems described in the attached
> message to this list, so I thought I'd join in.
>=20
> Julian reports a problem when the bce interface is=20
> disconnected and then
> reconnected under load, and never comes back until all load=20
> is removed,
> while reporting watchdog timeout errors.
>=20
> I see something rather like this (details in the attached message
> (hopefully the attachment will survive :))), but without physically
> disconnecting the cable.
>=20
> I am wondering if I'm actually seeing the same problem, but=20
> that rather
> than the cable being unplugged, it's something like the interface
> resetting on our (old, 100Mb/s) switch resetting and triggering this.
>=20
> Thought it was worth offering another data point.  I'm=20
> running the most
> recent version of the bce driver with the changes to fix the 'mbuf'
> errors.
>=20

A change was recently added to bge (r1.140) to address some issues
with locking in the driver when performing PHY accesses which was=20
also causing watchdog timeout errors.  I need to look at those
changes and see if they are applicable to the bce driver as well,=20
though I've been having problems loading both bge and bce as
modules on -CURRENT (causes a panic).  If I can get past the module
problem I'll look at the bge change soon.

Dave