Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 23:50:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/35659: x11-fonts/webfonts extract fails

The following reply was made to PR ports/35659; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To: Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 02:44:25 -0500

 in message <200203080640.g286e2a50164@freefall.freebsd.org>,
 wrote Alan Eldridge thusly...

 >  On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 01:08:56AM -0500, parv wrote:
 >  >in message <20020308035516.GA385@wwweasel.geeksrus.net>,
 >  >wrote Alan Eldridge thusly...
 >  >>
 >  >> >using cabextract-0.2 w/ recently cvsup'd ports tree
 >  >> [alane ~]$ pkg_info -I -x cabex cabextract-0.5      A program
 >  >> to extract Microsoft cabinet (.CAB) files Maybe you should
 >  >> upgrade your cabextract port. :)
 >
 >  >if the port doesn't itself care about the version of a dependent
 >  >software, then why should i?
 >
 >  The dependencies don't have a way to express it.  ... it's
 >  failure to build with an antiquated version of cabextract is its
 >  only way of telling you.

 that, and a pr, are rather round about ways to find out about
 the need of new versions of dependent software.

 >  >it's too expensive to ask for port upgrade just for only those
 >  >two options.  unless i am missing something else, otherwise,
 >  >cabextract 0.2 is just as fine do everything that's needed by
 >  >webfonts.
 >
 >  Clearly, the errors you've seen indicate that cabextract-0.2 does
 >  *not* do everything that's needed.

 my point was, and is, that "lowercase" and "quiet" options could
 have been handled in much more generalized way.

 for some unknown reason, the work of "lowercase" was "cleaned" in
 this pr, supposedly to make it better...

 http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/32046

 ...only to be worse.

 and i was hoping of being asked for, then submit, a patch to handle
 work of above two options.

 what a sorry state of the ports! :(

  - parv