Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 06:46:42 -0800
From:      Brad Jones <brad@kazrak.com>
To:        Julio Merino <juli@merino.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Size of / partition?

On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 11:34:04AM +0100, Julio Merino wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 11:32:36PM -0000, David Reid wrote:
> > Just cvsup'd to stable and I've almost run out of room on /!  How big should
> > I create it when I reinstall as I now don't have enough to do another build.
> >
> > bash-2.04$ df -k
> > Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> > /dev/ad0s2a     49583    44564     1053    98%    /
> > /dev/ad0s2f   2646093  1830324   604082    75%    /usr
> > /dev/ad0s2e     19815     8212    10018    45%    /var
> > procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc
>
> I allocate 70Mb for / on a 20gb disk and never ran out of space. You may
> have old /modules and/or kernels laying around, as well as files in
> /root. Also check your /tmp (which I mount on its own partition,
> or with mfs!).

One issue that I've found is that you need / a little larger with
softupdates on it.  I tried a make installworld on a 60MB / that had
about 15MB of accumulated junk (mostly old kernels from when this machine
switched from SMP to UP), and ran out of space partway through /sbin;
the files being replaced by the install hadn't been reaped yet, so the
partition was out of space even though it had several megabytes of files
that had been 'deleted'.  (Nuking the junk fixed the problem.)

BJ

--
Brad Jones -- brad@kazrak.com
"The line between good and evil, hope and despair, does not divide the