Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 2002 16:57:41 -0500
From:      "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
To:        Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
Cc:        dwcjr@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: samba-2.2.3a - configuration options interactive script

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 11:15:08PM +0200, Jens Rehsack wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> some weeks ago we talked 'bout creating a dialog-configuration script for
> the samba port. Now I'm ready to go to install some new samba server machines,
> so I can write those scripts.
> But (because I'm new in making sth. for the world :-)) I need some assistance
> when making decisions. So may I ask you some questions, and you (or everyone
> who feels appointed) answers them, if possible.
>
> 1) Should the configuration modify the port name, like cvsup / cvsup-without-gui?
>    I think it's possible to create a new port directory automatically for each possible
>    configuration, so a potential "portupgrade" is able to use the complete config-set
>    without waiting for the user...

I like the way postfix works in this aspect, but that's probably due
to the fact that I maintained it for a while(even though I didn't
write the menu system).

> 2) If !1:
>    Should the script provide an option like "Do not delete configuration wished on 'make clean'"?
>    Same reason like 1: I don't like sit at the side of servers I upgrade ...
>    I hate the PHP4-port for this!

I'm not sure I follow this but I'll see what the php4 port does.

> 3) Should the script check (checkable) misconfigurations, or is the admin every time
>    smart enough?

what kind of misconfigurations would it detect?  What I've been told
in the past is to let the admin shoot themselves in the foot if they
wish but this attitude may have changed.

--
David W. Chapman Jr.
dwcjr@inethouston.net	Raintree Network Services, Inc. <www.inethouston.net>