Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2019 01:20:29 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de>
To:        Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.com>
Cc:        ticso@cicely.de, Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Orange Pi PC2

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 12:08:30AM +0100, Emmanuel Vadot wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 20:31:38 +0100
> Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de> wrote:
>
> > After some investigation on how SD card images are setup, I did the
> > following:
> > dd if=FreeBSD-12.0-RELEASE-arm64-aarch64-PINE64-LTS.img of=/dev/da0 bs=1m
> > [72]cicely7# pwd
> > /usr/local/share/u-boot/u-boot-orangepi-pc2
> > [71]cicely7# dd if=u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin of=/dev/da0 bs=1k seek=8 conv=sync
> > 644+1 records in
> > 645+0 records out
> > 660480 bytes transferred in 1.393002 secs (474141 bytes/sec)
> >
> > The system booted fine with that.
> > Some warnings however:
> > /boot/dtb/overlays/sun50i-a64-sid.dtbo size=0x1fd
> > /boot/dtb/overlays/sun50i-a64-ths.dtbo size=0x3e8
> > /boot/dtb/overlays/sun50i-a64-timer.dtbo size=0x175
> > DTB overlay '/boot/dtb/overlays/sun50i-a64-sid.dtbo' not compatible
> > DTB overlay '/boot/dtb/overlays/sun50i-a64-ths.dtbo' not compatible
> > DTB overlay '/boot/dtb/overlays/sun50i-a64-timer.dtbo' not compatible
> > EHCI failed to shut down host controller.
> > EHCI failed to shut down host controller.
> > EHCI failed to shut down host controller.
> >

> > I'm a bit irritated that the PINE64-LTS image is somewhat a generic one
> > in that it uses a GENERIC kernel and also contains dtb files for other
> > boards,
>
>  So you are irritated that you have some weird behavior when you use
> something that is not specifically made for one board and you try it on
> it ???

No, that is perfectly fine, just that we have more or less GENERIC images,
which arn't announced as such.

There are more confusing things I've noticed.
The PINE64-LTS uses u-boot-sopine, although the u-boot repository has a config
specificly for the PINE64-LTS.
There is a u-boot for OrangePI Plus 2e, but none for the OrangePI Plus 2.
Also the u-bbot git misses a config for the OrangePI Plus 2, but I assume
those boards are identical for the OS as the difference only seem to be that
the Plus 2 has an USB hub and a USB-SATA bridge.
The WiFi chip on the 2 is a smaller package, but both are Realtek RTL8189.
The amount of available Allwinner based boards on the market is irritating
all by itself...

>  All arm64 board that are supported by FreeBSD uses GENERIC
> kernel and have dtb for every boards supported (more or less).
>
> > but there isn't a GENERICSD as it is for 32bit arm.
>
>  Yes, I will create one at some point, the reason I didn't do it is
> that someone found out recently that Allwinner 64bits SoC can use GPT
> partitions so I will need to do test with this.

Oh - good to know.
Still have to find out about ZFS root.

--
B.Walter <bernd@bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de