Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2006 21:18:19 -0300 (ADT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@freebsd.org>
To:        Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
Cc:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDStats - What is involved ... ?

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Max Laier wrote:

>> Actually, email would provide no ability to do the 'request-challenge'
>> that we have currently implemented in an effort to *reduce* (although I
>> know it won't eliminate) ppl "spamming" the system ...
>
> You can do as all the other websites and email a "confirmation link"
> back to the sender that they have to click on in order to commit the
> data to the system.

Hrmmm, that's an idea ... k, it will involve a multie step process per
server though ...

run script, which sends the IDTOKEN to server ... server sends back email
wtih confirmation link, which would return the two lines in
/var/db/bsdstats that you'd have to cut-n-paste to the file, and then
re-run the script a second time to actually send the data ...

the only thing that needs the 'confirmation' step is getting the
/var/db/bsdstats populated with valid data ... after that, the data only
needs to be sent in, but confirmed, since the data in /var/db/bsdstats is
the confirmation ... so subsequent months the data would just need to be
'bounced' through ...

Does that sound reasonable?