Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 2010 13:46:11 -0500
From:      Rusty Nejdl <rnejdl@ringofsaturn.com>
To:        Hubert Tournier <hubert@frbsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Panic with FreeBSD Guest in FreeBSD VirtualBox host

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 12:57:50 -0700 (PDT), Hubert Tournier
<hubert@frbsd.org> wrote:
> Hello Rusty and everybody,
>
> I finally found the origin of the problem.
>
> In the
> http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32151&sid=4ae06aadbaa77a4ec7c99ce7f1e50cf9
> release notes of VirtuaBox 3.2.6 Beta 1 , there was a line saying:
>

>> Version 3.2.6 will be a maintenance release. The following items were
>> fixed and/or added:
>> SATA: set initial number of ports to 1 as some guests can't handle 30
>> ports (e.g. CentOS 4 and FreeBSD; bug
>> http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/6984 #6984 )
>>

> I changed the line of the SATA adapter in the machine XML files of my
> FreeBSD guests and that was it! They now boot and work flawlessly.
>
> May be the difference with some of you was that i use SATA adapters as a
> default, instead of IDE adapters?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Hubert

Hubert,

We (Mario and I) found that our issue was fixed prior to this.  I have
been running VM's with and without SATA.  I have also found that I
continue to have freezes but have narrowed in mine to Linux support.
So, for me at least, I have no more freezes in VirtualBox but good to
know that they knocked out another bug I may have run into.

Thanks!
Rusty Nejdl