Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 20:47:28 -0700
From:      Kelsey Cummings <kgc@sonic.net>
To:        Kory Hamzeh <kory@avatar.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Backup suggestions

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 07:11:08PM -0700, Kory Hamzeh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am setting up a system running 4.3-RELEASE. This system will have two IDE
> drives, each being about 30G. I would like to write a cron jobs to copy all
> of the filesystems from the first physical drive to the second one every
> night. I want to make sure the second drive is an exact duplicate of the
> first, so in case of a crash, I can make the second drive the master and
> boot off of it.
>
> That is the best tool to use for this? tar? cpio? dump? dd?

I've used dump to do this in the past, but tar would work well to.
dd might be the best choice since you could mirror the disk themselves
rather than copying the slices, but, that means you'd have to copy
the whole thing, every time.  Rsync might help that.  But, honestly,
why not just pick up a 3ware or Promise ATA RAID card, they are dirt
cheap and perform great and you could have hardware mirror to protect
yourself from disk failure while getting improved read speed to boot.

(Esp. the 3ware cards.)

> I will probably have 3 filesystems and a swap partition on the first drive.
> I know a raid controller with do this for me, but I prefer to keep the
> hardware are simple as possible, mostly for reliability reasons.
>
> Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Kory

Kelsey Cummings - kgc@sonic.net         sonic.net
System Administrator                    300 B Street, Ste 101
707.522.1000 (Voice)                    Santa Rosa, CA 95404
707.547.2199 (Fax)                      http://www.sonic.net/
Fingerprint = 7F 59 43 1B 44 8A 0D 57  91 08 73 73 7A 48 90 C5