Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:42:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux and network cards

I was considering sending this to -advocacy or -hardware, but I think
this is a better place.  In the 4/9/01 issue of Infoworld
(http://208.185.149.153/webx?13@137.mBrzaLPgcDU^0@.ee751c7), Nicholas
Petreley writes about his problems with Linux and network cards.  He
could have save himself some exasperation if he knew the rule "hubs
are always half-duplex, switches can be either", but that's not my
real subject.  I don't have any 3Com or Intel NICs, but Petreley
claims that he was unable to use his 3C905B cards with his hubs,
period, and was only able to use the Intel EEPro 100 NICs after
running some diagnostic program to switch them to half-duplex.

I know that with FreeBSD, I can configure the card to be either
half-duplex, full-duplex or autosense, so one of the following is
true:

A) These cards are brain-dead, and FreeBSD can't configure them either.
B) Linux is brain-dead and can't configure this with ifconfig or
   whatever their equivalent command.
C) Nicholas Petreley doesn't know what he's doing, and should leave
   system administration to professionals.

In the expanded online version, Petreley does talk about setting an
option to turn off full-duplex on the cards when setting it up, so it
could be either a Linux driver or NIC firmware problem instead of a
ID10T problem.  Has anyone seen this sort of problem on FreeBSD with
either of these network cards?