Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2006 17:23:56 -0500
From:      "Nikolas Britton" <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, chad@shire.net
Subject:   Re: Are hardware vendors starting to bail on FreeBSD ... ?

On 6/21/06, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:
> [...]

HighPoint and Areca both have native FreeBSD array management
utilities and 12port, and up, Areca controllers have a built-in
Ethernet port with an embedded http/smtp/snmp/telnet server running on
them.

Oh and SAS controllers can support SATA drives, from Adaptec's website:

"The SAS connector is a universal interconnection that is form-factor
compatible with SATA, allowing SAS or SATA drives to plug directly
into a SAS environment whether for mission critical applications with
high availability and high performance requirements or lower
cost-per-gigabyte applications such as near-box storage.

SATA connector signals are a subset of SAS signals, enabling the
compatibility of SATA devices and SAS controllers. SAS drives will not
operate on a SATA controller and are keyed to prevent any chance of
plugging them in incorrectly.

In addition, the similar SAS and SATA physical interfaces enable a new
universal SAS backplane that provides connectivity to both SAS drives
and SATA drives, eliminating the need for separate SCSI and ATA drive
backplanes. This consolidation of designs greatly benefits both
backplane manufacturers and end-users by reducing inventory and design
costs."

-- http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/sata/_education/SAS_SATA_unprlcompat.htm

--
BSD Podcasts @: