Date:      Mon, 22 Aug 2011 10:49:33 +0200
From:      "C. P. Ghost" <cpghost@cordula.ws>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: A quality operating system

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Matthew Seaman
<m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:
> On 21/08/2011 05:13, Jorge Biquez wrote:
>> if for some reason, I know it is impossible, but if for some reason
>> FreeBSD would stop existing... serious users of FreeBSD, what would be
>> your next OS?
>
> If the FreeBSD project disbanded (for some unimaginable reason), then I
> guess I'd have to choose an OS based on one of the forks of FreeBSD code
> base that would undoubtedly be created as a reaction to that.
>
> About the only thing that could conceivably cause FreeBSD to disband
> would be some sort of deep schism and internecine conflict within the
> developer community. =A0Even so, the usual course is for one of the
> schismatic groups to leave in a huff and start their own project,
> leaving the rump of the original to lick its wounds and carry on.

We've survived the biggest schism so far: the dropping of Beastie as
the default image in /boot/loader.conf and the introduction of the
sex toy logo. Since the community could survive this dual tragedy,
I'm optimistic it'll survive almost ANYTHING. :-)

-cpghost.

--=20
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/