Date:      Fri, 03 Aug 2001 18:48:47 +0100
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        "stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4_3 calls itself -RELEASE?

"Chad R. Larson" wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 01:19:42AM +0100, Andrew Boothman wrote:
> >> I've seen -SECURE suggested, but I think that would open a can of
> >> worms similar to the periodic discussions of what -STABLE really
> >> means.  Around the office I call this branch the "most stable", but
> >> I think perhaps -SOLID has a nice ring to it...
> >
> > I prefer -SECURITY, because it makes it clear this is the branch
> > dedicated to security fixes and nothing else.
>
> Yes, but then the newbies would think this was some special release
> with extra security features.  And complain when they get rooted.
> We go through "why isn't -STABLE really stable" three or four times
> per year.
>
> I'd rather a tag that didn't imply some kind of promise.

I don't believe 4.3-SECURITY implies anything. Compare and
contrast:
Why isn't STABLE stable?
Why isn't SECURE secure?
Why isn't SECURITY security? Wha!

RELENG_4_3 is the "security fix branch relative to 4.3-RELEASE".
SECURITY for short. Works for me, and apparently the security
advisory team are happy with it too eg SA-01:51.

Newbies, by definition, will get it wrong whatever it's called ;)

> But I agree, it should be something other than -RELEASE.
>
> > Jordan, care to make an official jkh-style pronouncement on doing this
> > for RELENG_4_4?  :-)
>
> Or, commit -SOLID to the RELENG_4_3 branch tonight?
>
>         -crl
> --
> Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
> chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com
> DCF, Inc. - 14623 North 49th Place, Scottsdale, Arizona 85254-2207

ian j hart