Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 11:09:12 -0400
From:      Eric Ogren <eogren@earthlink.net>
To:        Fred Clift <fred@veriohosting.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: change in pci bus probe order between 3.2 and 4.0?

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 08:53:59AM -0600, Fred Clift wrote:
> In 4.0 it seems that pci3, then pci2 then pci1 then pci0 are being probed,
> finding the cards in the other order, and swapping what is fxp0 and fxp1.
>
> The problem is that the cards get swapped.  It's a long story why just
> switching the cables on the cards isn't really an option (lots of
> machines, wiring in racks of lots of machines shouldn't depend on which
> kernel or even which os the box is running, etc...)

Um...perhaps I'm being stupid, but why don't you just switch the IP
addresses of the NICs? If I understand what you were saying, in 3.2, your
config looked like:

 fxp0, 1.2.3.4 --> some hub
 fxp1, 10.11.12.13 --> a different hub

and now, it looks like

 fxp0, 10.11.12.13 --> the 1.2.3.* hub
 fxp1, 1.2.3.4 --> the 10.11.12.* hub

Why don't you just do
# ifconfig fxp0 inet 1.2.3.4 netmask <whatever>
# ifconfig fxp1 inet 10.11.12.13 netmask <whatever>

which will give you your original configuration again,
and then fold those changes into /etc/rc.conf so the configuration is
preserved if the system reboots?

Or is there something I'm missing?

Eric