Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 22:55:48 -0800
From:      Chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: beginners with bsd

Tim McMillen wrote:

> Wow, as a true newcomer to computers I'd say FreeBSD would be quite a
> stretch (How'd you find us? :)
>
> But it could be done if you were willing to be patient enough.
> In exchange for a tough learning curve at the start you would be rewarded
> with a very powerful, stable system.
>
> I might get flak for saying this but I think you should get a macintosh
> with MacOS X on it.  It will be very easy to use but will have a FreeBSD
> like core under the hood.

I wouldn't give you any flak, I'm just curious why you would
recommend the
Mac. Why would it be better than any custom 'pc'? I will admit, I
have never
used a Mac and know basicaly nothing about them.

 comments below also

> On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Anthony J Knapp wrote:
>
> > Help, please!
> > As a newcomer to any kind of computing, and as one who'd like to get
> > away from Windows, what is the easiest way to start with Freebsd?
>
> Well, install it first.  Maybe get a computer savvy friend to install it
> for you.  Or buy a system that has it already on it.  Once it is installed
> if you use one of the desktops like KDE or GNOME you should be ok

The install is quite easy now with the new 4.x versions, I think
a newby could
handle it. The most important thing to know is you monitor specs
- h sync,
vert refresh, and your video card specs - or make sure it is on
the Hardware
Compatibility List (find it on the freebsd.org site).

As for the desktop, IMHO, a newby would probably be most
comfortable starting
with kde IF they are coming from the ms winblows world. If this
person is
truly complete new to computing, then he may as well start with
something
completely differant - XFCE comes to mind, quite easy to use and
configure.

> > I've tried to trace a plain English book on the subject without success.
>
> There are two:  "The Complete FreeBSD" by Lehey
> and the "FreeBSD Handbook"
> >
> > Is Freebsd suitable for beginners?  Could I run the normal
> > wordprocessing, database, and spreadsheet applications with it?
>
> You wouldn't be able to run the applications that everybody else
> (Windows) uses, but there are such applications for FreeBSD.

You have Wordperfect 8, a free download or buy it at a store with
the
book. There's StarOffice, loads and saves ms word files and ms
excel
files. I believe it is compatible with access also. There is
AbiSuite,
another 'office suite'. And I believe the ports tree is up to
around 4000
ports now, if I remember correctly from my last visit to
freebsd.org.

> > Thanks,
> >

> > Tony Knapp (membership no 20001001)
>
>         I commend your courage.  If you really poured through those books
> and the website (www.freebsd.org) you might just be able to do it.  Good
> luck.  It would be a worthy adventure.
>
>                                                 Tim

Absolutely give it a go. You've got plenty of help here on this
list and
there may be a fbsd user group in your city. I believe there is a
list or at
links to a list of them on the freebsd.org site.

Wishing you the best,

--
Chip W.
www.wiegand.org