Date:      Mon, 03 Mar 2003 00:08:04 +0100
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.org>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PATCH: type errors in src-tree

Mark Murray wrote:
> John Polstra writes:
>
>>In article <xzpel5qc6nj.fsf@flood.ping.uio.no>,
>>Dag-Erling Smorgrav  <des@ofug.org> wrote:
>>
>>>This is wrong.  caddr_t should be uniersally replaced with void *.
>>
>>Not quite.  There is (or at least used to be) a lot of code that
>>assumed you could do address arithmetic on a caddr_t.  You can't do
>>that on a void *, at least not in ANSI C.  I think gcc lets you do
>>it, but it's an extension.
>

> As I have discovered. I specifically looked for this, and my misreading
> of the spec is now clear. :-)

Yes, but relying on this during fixing out caddr_t may break use of
other compilers.

Now, that OpenWatcom is released, the FreeBSd port of it should follow.
And maybe someone will try to compile the kernel and world with it. If
that would work, this would be great, because the watcom compiler
generates much better code than gcc does, even than gcc -O3 (and all
known optimizations on).

So long,
Jens