Date:      Fri, 07 Jan 2000 22:13:47 +0100
From:      Hans Ottevanger <hansot@iae.nl>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New kernel no longer boots on one of my machines... ata, other  problems

Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Well guys, I tried upgrading one of my older machines today to the
>     latest 4.0.  It was running an older 4.0 kernel (Nov 29 1999).

>         HEEEEELP!  Whats happening!!! :-( :-( :-(
>
>     At the moment I am stymied.  I switched to a GENERIC kernel and got the
>     same results, so it isn't anything weird that I have done in my own
>     kernel config.
>
>     I was hoping that someone would have an idea.
>
>                                                 -Matt

I also have one of those old Pentiums, with an Intel motherboard and a
Mercury chipset. And I have similar problems with CURRENT of a few days
ago. When I configure my kernel to use the new ata driver, it hangs when
booting. I plan to reproduce this problem this weekend, with a more
recent CURRENT.

I think the problem is caused by the RZ1000 EIDE controller on this type
of motherboard. I suspect that the new ata driver deals with interrupts
in ways somewhat different from the old wd driver. According to the
Intel documentation, interrupts during data transfers may cause data
corruption. This RZ1000 issue has been discussed on this list a few
weeks ago, without a real solution.

Kind regards,

Hans