Date:      Fri, 07 Dec 2001 11:57:40 -0800
From:      Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Default value for maxusers

I believe that we should do what BSD/OS did years ago. They default
maxusers to 0 which tells the system to size it at boot time based
on the amount of memory available on the system. Small memory machines
end up with a small value of maxusers and large memory machines ends
up with a large value of maxusers. In the rare case where the default
is wrong, the system administrator can set it to some non-zero value
which the kernel then uses.

We created maxusers so there would be one big knob that can be used
to set the many internal values needed by the system. It will never
be perfect, and where changes are needed (more mbufs for example),
the system administrator can adjust the individual knobs as needed.
But we should still have the big knob. As for the name, it is not
ideal, but no other clearly better ones come to mind, and maxusers
is a well known name by the legions of folks that actually have to
set up BSD systems. So, absent a compelling new name, I vote to keep
the name that people know.

	Kirk McKusick