Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:33:58 -0500
From:      DAve <dave.list@pixelhammer.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Network Monitoring Application Help, What do you use?

Bill Moran wrote:

>> I was looking into a Network/Server monitoring application that would do
>> the following
>>

>> Must have features
>> email/page/sms if one of the rules fail
>> has the ability to of course ping the device, ssh into or have someway
>> of checking if a daemon is running.
>>
>> Optional but nice features
>> reporting statistics and system status (web based)
The statistics are already there in the Nagios web interface.

>> restart a failed daemon
Could be done with an event handler maybe.

>> syslog parsing
No idea.

>> remote administration
It's web interface can be used as remotely as you deem secure. We use a
VPN (I work remotely).

> Nagios is a popular choice for this.  It has a gazillion different types
> of checks it can do, but it doesn't do all your nice to haves.

Nagios can also be very heavily modified with custom plugins. Certainly
worth looking into. There is a site dedicated to custom plugins at
http://www.nagiosexchange.org.

DAve

Veterans?