Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:34:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      backyard <backyard1454-bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        mark burdett <mfburdett@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fdisk: ERROR: failed to adjust; setting sysid to 0

--- mark burdett <mfburdett@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I was wondering what is the proper procedure for
> using fdisk to setup
> slices on large disks/arrays?  I seem to be getting
> an "ERROR" when
> fdisk tries to adjust the partition to start on a
> head boundary and
> end on a cylinder boundary.
>
> Should I ignore the warning re: "partition does not
> end on a cylinder
> boundary" and write the partition table?  Or should
> I attempt to set
> all the correct numbers by hand, since the automatic
> correction fails?
>
> I've attached the warnings and errors I saw on
> fdisk.
>
> --mark
>
> fileserver1# fdisk -u
> ******* Working on device /dev/da0 *******
> parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
> cylinders=364716 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065
> blks/cyl)
>
> Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions
> not in cyl 1
> parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
> cylinders=364716 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065
> blks/cyl)
>
> Do you want to change our idea of what BIOS thinks ?
> [n]
> Media sector size is 512
> Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
> Information from DOS bootblock is:
> The data for partition 1 is:
> sysid 165 (0xa5),(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
>     start 63, size 1564195181 (763767 Meg), flag 80
> (active)
>         beg: cyl 0/ head 1/ sector 1;
>         end: cyl 1023/ head 165/ sector 59
> Do you want to change it? [n]
> The data for partition 2 is:
> sysid 165 (0xa5),(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
>     start 1564195248, size 2147478417 (1048573 Meg),
> flag 0
>         beg: cyl 86/ head 166/ sector 1;
>         end: cyl 640/ head 254/ sector 63
> Do you want to change it? [n]
> The data for partition 3 is:
> <UNUSED>
> Do you want to change it? [n] yes
> Supply a decimal value for "sysid (165=FreeBSD)" [0]
> 165
> Supply a decimal value for "start" [0] 3711673665
> Supply a decimal value for "size" [0] 2147490495
> fdisk: WARNING: partition does not end on a cylinder
> boundary
> fdisk: WARNING: this may confuse the BIOS or some
> operating systems
> Correct this automatically? [n] y
> fdisk: ERROR: could not adjust partition to start on
> a head boundary
>     and end on a cylinder boundary.
> fdisk: ERROR: failed to adjust; setting sysid to 0
> Explicitly specify beg/end address ? [n]

As long as your not using DOS/Winblows/OS-2 you
shouldn't have problems. Microsft/PC os's have the
requirement that partition boundarys end on and begin
on cylinder boundaries. The main thing is the BIOS,
some of them will accept it some won't as they are
setup to use DOS, et al. And I belive it would only
mess up booting the system. This can be hit or miss so
I would try it. If they aren't boot drives, and newfs
completes sucessfully on the partitions then all
should be ok. Any particular reason you are
partitioning multiple partitions for FreeBSD? this
should only be done if your planning on having
multiple versions of FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD going.
bsdlabel is where you slice the drive into different
pieces for your filesystems.

I have a scsi setup that I used a dangerously
dedicated mode whose scsi bios says "the partition
table is corrupt, low level format required on one or
more drives" but FreeBSD don't care and boots up fine.
These aren't the boot drives, but if BSD is only
warning you then it won't care in the end. It just
likes to try and play nice with other OSs unlike the
other OSs.

-brian