Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 18:35:28 +0530
From:      "Arpith Jacob" <arpith@geocities.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Config (newbie): sound, internet

Hello,

I've been trying to get freebsd 4.1 installed and working on my pc.
I installed from a cd which came with "the complete reference,
freebsd"-- greg lehey.
I am a newbie :)

I got it installed, but don't have the sound working/cdrom working.

I have a /cdrom dir, but nothing gets listed when I try to list the
contents. Do I have to mount it? How?

Do I have to compile the sound support into the kernel? Help will be
appreciated.

Finally, I am trying to connect to the internet. I used kpp which comes
with KDE. I can connect to the internet, get my dyn. ip etc. But, I can't
access any site at all. What haven;t I done?
It can't resolve any hostname I think, and it waits indefinetly for a
response when I type in an ip address in netscape's location bar.

Also, I tried to setup apache, but it wouldn't start saying that it couldn't
recognise the local machine's hostname. I had to add the
"ServerName localhost" directive in httpd.conf to make it start.
Yet, I can't connect to localhost.

Sorry for the long mail.

I would really appreciate help.

Thanks,