Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:15:09 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Brad Huntting <huntting@glarp.com>
Cc:        John E Hein <jhein@timing.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports & DESTDIR (was: STLPORT and gcc3 (openoffice porting))

--3O1VwFp74L81IIeR

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 02:50:05PM -0700, Brad Huntting wrote:
>=20
> > bsd.ports.mk uses DESTDIR differently (wrongly IMO) than FreeBSD's
> >  buildworld or the rest of the world as far as I have seen.  See (and
> >  lobby for) ports/28155.  Unfortunately, the fix in 28155 will make
> >  DESTDIR behave the "right" way, and thus anyone expecting the "wrong"
> >  behavior will be surprised.  OTOH, any ports using DESTDIR will do the
> >  wrong thing now anyway in many cases (see the How-To-Repeat in PR 2815=
5).
>=20
> Along these lines, we have a rather twisted setup at our shop.  We
> put 3d party software such as ports in directories with pathnames
> like:
>=20
> 	/nfs/i386+OpenBSD2/teTeX-1.0.7/{bin/,etc/,share/,...}
>=20
> Using symlinks (and amd) it appears to the users as if it were
>=20
> 	/nfs/teTeX -> teTeX-1.0.7
> 	/nfs/teTeX-1.0.7/{bin/,etc/,share/,...}
>=20
> Since these are mounted read-only, we have to install the port in
> another directory e.g:
>=20
> 	/mnt/foo/nfs/teTeX-1.0.7/
>=20
> In a perfect world this would just mean using
>=20
> 	DESTDIR=3D/mnt/foo
> 	PREFIX=3D/nfs/teTeX-1.0.7
>=20
> But, this will cause the port to look for all it's _dependencies_
> in /nfs/teTeX-1.0.7 when they are really in /nfs/some-port-name.

Actually, just setting PREFIX will *not* make a port look for its
dependencies there.  Ports look for their dependencies in either LOCALBASE
or X11BASE, depending on whether the port itself uses X or not..  However,
this does not help much in your particular case, since both LOCALBASE and
X11BASE assume a single directory tree where all the header files and libs
are located, and in your case, there are many such directory trees..

Hmf.. the best that I can come up with is some kind of a temporary directory
providing symbolic links to all the headers and libs in all those dirs;
this directory should be torn down and rebuilt before each new port build
to make sure the symlinks are in sync with reality; and then there might be
a problem with programs which hard-code library locations (are there any
of those still around?) and do not trust rtld and ldconfig..

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
When you are not looking at it, this sentence is in Spanish.

--3O1VwFp74L81IIeR

--3O1VwFp74L81IIeR--