Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 20:26:22 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        Mark Johnston <mark.johnston@home.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: 4.0-RELEASE installation: can't see my hard drive

On 10-May-00 Mark Johnston wrote:
> I'm having trouble installing 4.0-RELEASE - I get through the bootup and
> kernel setup, but the "Probing..." screen hangs for about 10-15 minutes.
> The installation screen comes up after that, but when I try to start
> setup,
> it tells me that no hard drives are found.  The kernel options I have
> enabled are:
>
>     port    irq
> ata0    0x1f0    14
> ata1    0x170    15
> fdc0    0x3f0    6
> ed0    0x300    9
> ppc0        7
> sio0    0x3f8    4
> sio1    0x2f8    3
> atkbd0        1
> sc0
> npx0    0xf0    13
>
> Everything else is disabled.  I'm using a 10.1gb Western Digital IDE
> drive on a fairly old system (P166, 32MB ram, crap motherboard), and I
> don't have EZ-BIOS (the large drive BIOS support software, intended
> mainly for Windows) installed.  The HD is the primary master, and an
> ATAPI CD-ROM is the secondary master.  The debug console shows some
> errors about timeouts waiting to send commands to ata0-master and read
> timeouts on ad0 - it also says that the device has disappeared.
>
> This system has run Win95 and Linux, and both found the hard drive
> without any trouble - I've also booted the OpenBSD install floppy,
> which found the HD OK.  Where am I going wrong?

Sorry, not an answer, just a "me too" here.

I was trying to install FreeBSD 4.0 from CD on a friend's machine and saw
pretty much the same behavior.  Try as we might, we just could not figure
out a workaround.  Baffling, really.

His setup is almost identical to yours: older box, Award BIOS, Cyrix 686,
large drive as primary master, CD-ROM as secondary master.  The hangs,
etc., all the same as yours.

It was really quite embarrassing after having raved to him about how great
FreeBSD is.  I ended up giving him my Linux 6.0 CDs and wishing him luck.
:-)

--
Conrad Sabatier
http://members.home.net/conrads/