Date:      Thu, 06 Nov 2008 14:06:30 +0100
From:      Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
To:        Ludovit Koren <Ludovit_Koren@tempest.sk>
Cc:        questions-list freebsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Kismet on FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE

Ludovit wrote:
 > iwi0: <Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG> mem 0xfafef000-0xfafeffff irq 9
 > at device 3.0 on pci2

Monitor is broken on iwi on FreeBSD 7. I did report it during the
7.0-BETA, but there was at least one more report in the meantime.

With exactly the same setup, I can use kismet with ural (ok), zyd (many
broken packages), ral (ok), and ath (good, but see below). I do not
receive a single package with iwi.

I did replace my iwi miniPCI device by an ath one, which is more
reliable anyhow. (iwi, as all Intel cards, occasionally dies and cannot
reload firmware because of too little dma memory. That was reported a
few times, too.)

ath can monitor, even for longer periods of time, but if I do channel
hopping in kismet, it often eventually stops receiving packages after a
few minutes. Restarting kismet always fixes that. (I have had that with
different ath cards.)

iwi monitoring did work on 6.2, but often the card would not do regular
networking after that until reboot and the problem with the firmware
mentioned above was already present, although it was much better than on
6.1.

For monitoring, you should either get a different card or try 6.X,
6-STABLE, or maybe 8-CURRENT. (I have no experience with the latter.)

Cheers,
Jan Henrik