Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 12:54:39 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        billmc@internetaddress.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 132 column VESA modes on a Cyber9397?

On Sat, Aug 19, 2000 at 12:58:34PM -0500, Bill McMilleon wrote:

> > On Sat, Aug 19, 2000 at 12:20:37PM -0500, Bill McMilleon wrote:
> > > I am a fortunate owner of an IBM ThinkPad 770z which uses a
> > > Cyber9397 video controller.  This unit is capable of 1024x768
> > > operation at 16-bit color, but I can't seem to get at any of
> > > the 132 column modes that are available on my desktop
> > > machines (using both a Matrox Mystique and a very cheap S3
> > > Trio32 card).  I'm a big CLI fan who doesn't need/want to
> > > run X if at all possible, but I really need some 132 column
> > > modes to make things comfortable.  Has anyone been able to
> > > coax a Cyber 9397 into doing this?  If not, does anyone have
> > > an idea what is involved to implement this in software?  I
> > > am a semi-talented C programmer who would be willing to
> > > pursue this, but I have little experience with Unix
> > > development and almost no knowledge of VESA and framebuffer
> > > issues.  Thanks.
> > >
> > > FYI: "vidcontrol -i mode" does NOT list any 132 column modes
> > > for this video device.
> >
> > That's your answer. To be able to use these modes under FreeBSD
> > the VESA BIOS Extensions need to be on-chip. It appears that
> > yours, like my ATI card, aren't (Matrox, and newer ATI, cards
> > are). To support these modes in DOS (for Lotus 1-2-3 for example)
> > it needs a DOS TSR to provide the necessary support.
> > HTH
>
> Thanks for the reply.  So, if I understand you right: there is little
> or no hope for the possibility of writing a FreeBSD equivalent to
> UNIVBE?

Well, I'm not exactly sure what UNIVBE is (the DOS TSR program for
your chipset) but I suppose in _theory_ it is possible although I
would expect you would need programming information to be able to
interface with the chip so it would depend on whether the chip
manufacturer publishes the necessary details.

--
		4.4 - The number of the Beastie