Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 1995 19:28:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      dlr@netcom.com (dlr)
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        dlr@netcom.com, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ping under freebsd

> >the problem I am at now is that bsd ping returns a zeroeven if the
> >connection isn't established.
>
>    This behavior was added just after the 2.0 release:
>
> --------
> revision 1.4
> date: 1994/11/29 16:09:56;  author: davidg;  state: Exp;  lines: +4 -1
> In past releases of FreeBSD, I have used the exit status of "ping" to
> determine whether a connection to a given machine is up or not.
>
> In FreeBSD 2.0 (and therefore, I assume, BSD 4.4) the exit code of ping
> is always zero, even if no packets were received.
>
> I would like to propose the following change to /usr/src/sbin/ping/ping.c
> to restore this useful behaviour:

Does this mean there is a fix for this? I never received the rest of the
message...if there was any.

I still haven come up with a resolution for a script theat will check to
see if a network ppp connection is up and if it isn't up to reestablish it.

Pinging for the host of my provider seems the easiest, but there are
probably other alternatives. Does anyone else listening to this list have
a script like this working with v2.0?

dave
dlr@netcom.com

dave