Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:39:25 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Toupar <toupar@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't work out which disk we are booting from

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 11:01:07AM +0800, Toupar wrote:

> Hi,
> When i install freebsd ,a problem occurred:
>
> Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
> Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes defaulting to disk0:
>
> What should i do?

Boot the disk1 CD and select the fixit disk.
Then run dmesg and look through the output.
You are looking for a device whose name looks something
like either   ad0  or  da0
The number [0] on the end indicates which drive device.
All of the disk drives on the machine should show up in dmesg.
If you are using a raid controller, the names might be
something like mfid0 but still include the da0, da1, ... identifiers
for the drives used in the raid.   In that case you only want to
use the mfid[n] identifier and not the individual device names.

Is there a reason you need to know the DIOS device numeric identifier?
I have never had to use it for anything.

////jerry