Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 16:39:04 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Status of -stable

Eat good food, preserve nature, be nice to all nice people :)

On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Warner Losh wrote:

> : Well, I liked -stable too!  Are you sure you're not over-reacting to
> : the recent nightmare?  That pesky post-traumatic stress syndrome thing?
> : Hey, in time, the night sweats and flashbacks will pass. :-)
>
> OK.  I've read all the posts in -hackers and -stable on this.  I'm
> only sending this to -stable.
>
> I like the idea of -stable where you have MAJOR bugfixes only.  That's
> it.  No mega-commits.  No trying to get neat new features.  Only
> security holes, core dumps, data corruption and kernel panic fixed.
> The current -stable branch has been good for me in that it is 2.1R + a
> few good patches.  I'd be happy with that.  Something that you'd have
> to SUP once or maybe twice a month to keep current would be ideal.
> Wanna commit anything else: Tough.  Use -current.  This is somewhat of
> a hard line, I know, but it would mirror well what standard practice
> in the industry is.

Then there would not be the ccd driver in -stable... :-(

> I agree that the current -stable branch has gotten way out of hand and
> nothing like it should continue to exist in the post-2.1.5 world.
> Once 2.2 is out, it might be a good idea to have something like this
> around, but only with a much more restricted scope.  Looking at the
> logs, I'd restrict the patches to about 1/10th their current (backed
> out) size.

Now, if I remeber everyting correctly, the 2.1 branch was supposed to end
with 2.1.5 anyways.

> There were two problems, that I saw from the bleachers, with this:
> 	1) -stable and -current had drifted so far that automated
> 	   source code control of merging was nightmarish at best.
> 	2) -stable had too many changes to it after 2.1R was
> 	   released.
>
> Any future -stable branches should be relatively small deltas from the
> last release.  I tend to think of -stable as 2.1R with all the
> supported patches to 2.1R pre-applied.

There has to be anyone yet to contradict this - at most, there have been
just ifs... and thens... and nothing certain on the part of the -stable
supporters.

> I appreciate the monitary concerns raised here.  I think that if the
> volume of deltas are very small, one person could handle them in a
> sane manner.  Would make a good way to donate to the FreeBSD project,
> IMHO.  If no one comes forward, then I believe that the right approach
> would be to kill the whole -stable concept.  While it does
> differentiate FreeBSD from the other BSDs out there, it is not worth
> undue stress and strain on the core team to make it happen.

Anything other than bug-fixes has surely been undue.

> However, that said, I understand and appreciate that the core team
> will do what they want with their time.  I further understand that it
> is unreasonable for me to demand anything other than a CD rom when it
> suits their (and not my) fancy (subject of course to my payment for
> the cdrom).  I appreciate what the core team has accomplished and am
> proud to use the fruits of their labors and hope to continue to be
> allowed to do so.

The words from us all.

	Sander