Date:      Wed, 1 May 2002 00:02:12 -0700
From:      Nathan KInkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.com>
To:        "Henning, Brian" <brian.henning@navitaire.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: burning software

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:20:13 -0500
"Henning, Brian" <brian.henning@navitaire.com> wrote:

> Hello-
> I have a quick question about cd burning. Is there a shell for burncd for
> x-windows? I have an ide burner and I could use something simple and easy to
> burn cds. Could some one point to the location in the ports dir or maybe to
> a package?
> Thanks,

about a year ago i ran into the same issue.  at that time i put together a small perl script that will allow me to burn audio/data cds more easily.  granted, it's not X based, but it's fairly simple.  i haven't used it in quite a long time, and i never did really finish it or test it fully....but the last time I used it it worked fine. basically it *should* allow you to do these things:
- burn either an audio or data cd
- if it's a data cd you can copy from cd-->cd, or you can specify a location on the hard disk where an ISO file exists
- if it's an audio cd you can copy a CD song for song, or you can rip various tracks from one or various CDs and then order the songs to your satisfaction
- alternately, if it's an audio cd you can specify to burn a CD from WAV files that are located somewhere on your hard disk and then order them as you please
- this utility uses the following apps: dagrab, mkisofs, and burncd.
it's not much, but it's a step up from doing it manually, although there may X based ide/atapi burning programs - i haven't looked.
maybe it could be of some use to you: http://63.105.21.156/download/burnit.PL

note {
  to any die-hard perl programmers: this was the first thing i
  ever wrote in perl, and i haven't really gone back to clean
  up at all.  i'm sure it's fairly messy, and possibly poorly
  written...not to mention, it contains no comments. i may scour
  the code soon for more efficiency and better readablility.
  Thanks.
}