Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 2009 21:06:05 +0200
From:      Julien Cigar <jcigar@ulb.ac.be>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mail server/webmail

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 13:30 -0500, Adam Vande More wrote:
> Frederique Rijsdijk wrote:
> > Liontaur wrote:
> >> Hi folks, I was searching around but i'm not quite sure what i'm looking
> >> for. I want to have a program that gets the mail from my ISP mail server
> >> (pop), stores the mail permanently, allows me webmail access, and
> >> also lets
> >> me grab the mail with a mail client (Outlook Express). I'd like to be
> >> able
> >> to sync the mail with outlook express also. Like if I send a mail over
> >> webmail, that sent mail will also go into the sent box in outlook
> >> express,
> >> or conversly, perhaps store all the mail on the server and have outlook
> >> express just show the folders and contents stored on the server. But i'd
> >> have to somehow upload all of the mail currently in my outlook
> >> express. I'll
> >> also need some kind of spam functionality as I get a sizable amount
> >> of spam.
> >> Currently I use K9 for spam and I quite like it.
> > I guess you could start to look in the area of:
> >
> > - /usr/ports/mail/fetchmail (to fetch/store the mail)
> > - /usr/ports/mail/dovecot (for access to the mail via imap)
> > - /usr/ports/mail/squirremail or roundcube (webmail w/ imap)
> > - /usr/ports/www/apache22 for the webmail
> >
> > As you're then using IMAP, any client that connects to dovecot will
> > get the same set of mailfolders (sync).
> >

> > -- Frederique
> >
> I've not used roundcube, but horde imp is a also an IMAP webmail client,
> and I find to be be a much better client than squirrelmail.
> _

Take a look at Hastymail too .. (version 2, because the port is still
version 1)
http://www.hastymail.org/

Julien Cigar
Belgian Biodiversity Platform
http://www.biodiversity.be
Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
Campus de la Plaine CP 257
Bâtiment NO, Bureau 4 N4 115C (Niveau 4)
Boulevard du Triomphe, entrée ULB 2
B-1050 Bruxelles
Mail: jcigar@ulb.ac.be
@biobel: http://biobel.biodiversity.be/person/show/471