Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 12:01:43 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
Cc:        Postmaster <webmaster@radikal.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Copyright and payment

Jason C. Wells said on Jul 26, 2000 at 23:31:36:
> On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Postmaster wrote:
>
> > Is it legal to sell FreeBSD for money ($1000?) to customers without telling
> > them it's free before they pay? Any rules for this?
>
> The copyrights are here:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/copyright.html
>
> No comment about anything to do with sale price is included in the
> copyright for the FreeBSD copyrigt or the BSD copyright. The GPL parts are
> a whole 'nother animal which I don't care to understand.
>
> You must abide by the copyrights.

With the BSD parts, you can sell it for money but you must include the
copyright notice, which would tell them if you're trying to rip them
off.  The "license" can be changed if you like, subject to some
restrictions.

With the GPL parts, too, you can sell it for money but you must make
it clear that they're receiving that code under the terms of the GPL.
(And you must yourself read the GPL and abide by it before selling it
to them.) If they still want to pay you, it's up to them.  But you
aren't allowed to change the license of the GPL parts.  Lots of people
sell (and buy) free software for money, but $1000 seems a bit extreme.

Rahul.