Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 00:30:45 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'm at a loss for a way to mount this second harddrive

* chip <chip@wiegand.org> [000412 19:00] wrote:

> And here are the results of disklabel  wd3s1 (as per your
> instructions)
>
> chip# disklabel wd3s1
> # /dev/rwd3s1c:
[snip]
> 8 partitions:
> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   a:   204800        0    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl.    0 - 16*)
>   b:   262144   204800      swap                        # (Cyl.   16*- 38*)
>   c:  4124673        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 340*)
>   e:  3657729   466944    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl.   38*- 340*)
> chip#
>
> I see it showing me rwd3s1c and wd1s1 (wd1s1x is already mounted,
> see above),  then your instructions were
>
> > then do this:
> > disklabel wd3sX
> > where 'X' is the number you got above.. then take the letter of the
> > partition... a,e,f or g and just do this:
> > mount /dev/wd3sXx
> > where 'x' is the letter of the partition.
>
> X is one (1) already entered above, whence wd3s1 and mount wd2s1x is
> any of the partitions showing in the table - a, b, c, e.
>

> > and try to mount one of the partitions listed above.
>
> I have tried to mount wd3s1a, wd3s1b, wd3s1c, wd3s1e. Those are the
> partitions to try to mount aren't they?
> Maybe this is where I am going wrong?
>
> $ su
> Password:
> chip# mkdir /mnt2
> chip# mount /dev/wd3s1a /mnt2
> mount: Operation not permitted
> chip# mount /dev/wd3s1b /mnt2
> mount: /dev/wd3s1b on /mnt2: incorrect super block
> chip# mount /dev/wd3s1c /mnt2
> mount: Operation not permitted
> chip# mount /dev/wd3s1e /mnt2
> mount: Operation not permitted
>
> I have tried to mount just the partitions that appear to me to
> be valid, but you can see the results. I created the /mnt2 directory
> as root, did the mounts as root. Okay, so apparently I am missing
> something, we know that, but what? Maybe this harddisk just crashed
> over night when I reinstalled the operating system, I don't know.
> Should I put it into another machine and attempt to mount it there? I
> have another bsd box, my firewall.

You may have to run fsck on the partition, try:
  fsck /dev/rwd3s1a
  fsck /dev/rwd3s1e

then try mouting them again.

> > Honestly you are starting to annoy me,
>
> My apologies
>
> >I explained that you'll want
> > to mount partitions shown from the disklabel command, your disklabel
> > showed this:
> > > chip# disklabel wd3s1
> > Instead of following my directions you proceeded to attempt to mount
> > anything remotely resembling wd3s1_anything_ like some sysadmin in
> > heat.
>
> Maybe I'm trying too hard?

No, not reading enough of what's under you nose. :)

> Once again, sorry if I am being a pest, but you do have the option of
> just telling me to blow off and I'll not bother you anymore, I'l just
> post to the group only

I don't want you to go run off, I want to prod you enough so that
you don't just realize _how_ to mount the disks, but also why
you're having the problems you're having.

I really can't see why you would be running mount on the b and c
partitions:

>   a:   204800        0    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl.    0 - 16*)
>   b:   262144   204800      swap                        # (Cyl.   16*- 38*)
>   c:  4124673        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 340*)
>   e:  3657729   466944    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl.   38*- 340*)

only 'a' and 'e' are marked as 4.2BSD, 'b' is obviously marked as
'swap' (not a filesystem) and if you look closely 'c' is actually
a partition that covers the entire disk.  again, only 'a' and 'e'
are real partitions that can host a file system.

a keen eye for these things can mean the difference between getting
your data and frying it pretty quickly.