Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 1999 00:38:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        H.vanReenen@UCI.KUN.NL (Hans van Reenen)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: A simple network configuration question.

[Please keep CCs to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org when replying.]

Hans van Reenen wrote,

> Hello Crist,
>
> I mean in the following situation.
>
> PC-box: inet 131.174.118.146
> Gateway: inet 131.174.116.7
>
> In this example there is no home-lan. Just a point (PC box) to point
> (gateway) connection.
>
> Do you understand the above description ?

Not really. The gateway has to be reachable from your PC. If your
gateway is not on your LAN, how do you plan on reaching it?

Are we talking about PPP between these machines? In that case, I think
you still need to be more specific about what you wish to do.

I still am not sure what you mean by 'bypassing rc.local' either. For
some reason you want to only enable this connection by hand, rather
than automatically at startup?