Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 17:56:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      kris@FreeBSD.org
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/21464: linux_base port installs insecure glibc rpm

>Number:         21464
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       linux_base port installs insecure glibc rpm
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
The linux_base port installs an out of date RPM which has security
vulnerabilities when used with privileged applications. By default
no such applications are installed by the linux compatability ports,
but there may be others in the ports tree which I don't know about.

An updated glibc rpm is available but it is only in the redhat 6.2
directories on the redhat mirror sites. The port currently installs
redhat 6.1 rpms, although the newer glibc rpm is apparently suitable
for 6.1 as well.

The redhat advisory is available at
http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHSA-2000-057-04.html
which points to the fixed glibc rpm.

I'm not sure if we currently install other vulnerable RPMs - the
redhat security advisories should be checked at
http://www.redhat.com/apps/support/updates.html