Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 1996 04:30:03 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        jdp@polstra.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Another 2.2-SNAP soon, folks?

>I would very much like to see gzipped executables working again.
>Without them, you can't use the fixit disk.  (I know, I know, you can
>use it with an older install disk.  But that's not quite the same.)

I sent this to the wrong list:
---
I have been debugging the kernel gzip and rebooting the test systems a
lot.  exec_gzip_imgact() works fine if the final vm_map_remove() is
omitted.  Otherwise it hangs in various places in vm_map_remove() doing
harmless-looking memory accesses, except the vm_map_remove() works OK if
it is called only on every second gzip exec (after the previous one has
left suitable garbage).  It looks like a reference counting problem.
The mapping that causes the problem is particularly simple.
---

It might be acceptable to simply skip the vm_map_remove() for the fixit
version.

The vm_map_remove() is for a 4K mmapped window on the input file.  There
seems to be no problem removing and reallocating this window every 4K for
input files larger than 4K.

Bruce