Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 21:43:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        vansax@mail.websidestory.com (Jim Van Baalen)
Cc:        malte.lance@gmx.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't Newfs Disk

Jim Van Baalen wrote:

 ... newfs woe snipped ...

> Should I create /dev/rsd1s4c? It doesn't make much sense to me that
> the necessary devices to add a second drive are not part of the standard

Why clutter /dev?  If the 2nd drive's devs  should pre-exist, well,
how about the 3rd's? or the 15th's?

OTOH, the creation of these slice devs could be more obviously
documented somewhere. When confronted with the problem myself, lo!
these many months ago, I actually had to browse through the MAKEDEV
script, at which point the scales fell from my eyes and I saw the
Truth.

> OS. Is their a document somewhere that explains which devices should be
> associated with standard partitions when secondary disks are used? Thanks.

 [much snippage.]

So just go ahead and create them:

	cd /dev
	MAKEDEV sd1s4a

That will make the whole slew of [r]sd1s4[a-h] stuff.

My advice is to get used to the new  notation.

On secondary disks, how you slice and partition is up to you.
There's no standard except tradition.  Usually: either don't use
b or use it for swap. Don't use c except to demarcate the "whole
slice". If you want a single partition to be used for the whole
slice, make that "a" or "d".

Gratuitous Advice:  creating a small "a" partition that can be
booted can be /real handy/ if the usual boot drive fails. It's also
useful for routine stand-alone maintenance of the other drive. It's
a lot more convenient than the "boot floppy".

Dave