Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:09:51 -0500
From:      Jeff Aitken <jaitken@aitken.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.5 install problem

I apologize if this is a FAQ (I swear I've heard it before), but I
can't find anything relevant in the documentation... anyway, I've got
a box that's been running 3.2-RELEASE for two years on which I'm
trying to install 4.5-RELEASE.  I am booting from floppies.  The
initial portion of the boot process goes as expected, but the machine
hangs at the "Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle" line.
I've tried both configuring the kernel to exclude devices that I know
aren't in the machine and just letting it boot with no modifications
and it hangs at the same spot.

Hardware in the box includes:

    ASUS P2B-S (onboard aic7890)
    IBM DRVS09V HDD
    Kingston PCI ethernet card (shows up as pn0 in 3.2)

Are there known issues with any of these?  I just tried this again
(on new floppies) with 4.4-RELEASE and got the same behavior.  I
tend to doubt it's a bug that no one else has ever seen (pretty
generic hardware), but more likely a hardware problem on my side.
Any suggestions where I should start looking?

--Jeff