Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 2004 23:06:14 +0100
From:      ISAAC GELADO FERNANDEZ <igf@tid.es>
To:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@freebsd.org>
Cc:        nbari@unixmexico.com
Subject:   Re: Routing Networks

----- Mensaje original -----
De: "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@comcast.net>
Fecha: Mi=E9rcoles, Enero 14, 2004 10:06 pm
Asunto: Re: Routing Networks

Gelado wrote:
> > Nicol?s de Bari Embr?z G. R. escribi?:
> > >Hi all, I need some help routing or making Nat
on a LAN.

> > >I have something like this:
> > >

> > >                  I N T E R N E T
> > >                 -----------------
> > >                ^                 ^
> > >                |                 |
> > >fxp0      public IP           public IP
> > >                |                 |
> > >         FreeBSD server      LINUX server
> > >                |                 |
> > >dc0   192.168.10.1                |
> > >dc1   192.168.1.1 ^           192.168.1.3
> > >                ^ |           ^
> > >                | |           |
> > >                | |           |
> > >               ----------------
> > >              |   Switch/Hub   |
> > >               ----------------
> > >                   |       |
> > >    ------------------     -----------------
> > >   |      LAN  A      |   |     LAN  B      |
> > >   | 192.168.10.2-254 |   | 192.168.1.4-100 |
> > >    ------------------     -----------------
> > >

> > >What i want to do is that a computer on LAN A
with an IP on the=20
> range of=20
> > >192.168.10.2-254 can ping, telnet, ssh, etc. to
a computer on=20
> LAN B
> > >"192.168.1.X".
> > >
> > >How can i solve this problem, is this is a
route or Nat problem ?
> >=20
> > I think it is a route problem. You must add next
static route:
> >=20
> >   - On the linux machine route all incoming
packets with dest=20
> addr=20
> > 192.168.10.x to 192.168.1.1
> >=20
> > It shouldn't be necesary a static route on the
freebsd machine=20
> since it=20
> > has a network device with an addr of LAN B.
>=20
> This is correct. Things can get from LAN A to LAN
B just fine in this
> picture. The problem is that machines on LAN B
won't be able to get
> back to LAN A (i.e. your pings go from A to B, but
the pongs never get
> back from B to A). You'll have to touch that Linux
box or touch the
> routes on everything on LAN B to route
192.168.10.0/24 through
> 192.168.1.1.
>=20
> > Of course you must run a=20
> > route daemon in both machines (I supouse it's
running now since=20
> they are=20
> > working as gateways) and the previous route must
be added to the=20
> route=20
> > daemon running on the linux machine.
>=20
> OK now here is the problem. Why does he need a
routing daemon? I saw
> no mention of RIP, OSPF, or any other dynamic
routing protocol. Looks
> like it's all static routes to me.

Sorry, I was mistaken. You only need that FreeBSD
machines redirects packets from one network
interface to the other as Crist says.

Regards

cjclark@alum.mit.edu
cjclark@jhu.edu