Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 2009 12:10:36 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Freminlins <freminlins@gmail.com>
Cc:        More <amvandemore@gmail.com>, PJ <af.gourmet@videotron.ca>, Andrew Gould <andrewlylegould@gmail.com>, Adam, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 7.2 RELEASE ? Buggy as hell

I may add:

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 23:50:07 +0100, Freminlins <freminlins@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have used FreeBSD on the desktop for about 6 years (but not yet running
> 7.2). It has mostly been a pleasure.

I'd like to say that I'm using FreeBSD on the desktop exclusively
since version 4.0 and I've always been quite happy with it. No
problems at all - since the big crash. When I was "forced" to use
FreeBSD 7, I was a bit disappointed, I can honestly say this. But
that has NEVER been a problem with the FreeBSD OS, but always with
additional packages, so I won't blame the FreeBSD developers who
deliver a faster system with every release - just to see that the
installed packages (like X, browsers, OpenOffice etc.) just run
slower and slower with each new version, and that's sad.

> I didn't like it when X was changed to
> individual packages, as it now takes considerably longer to install. And the
> output from pkg_info takes correspondingly longer to search through. It also
> installs two scripting languages (Perl and Python). I haven't had a problem
> configuring X for years.

Especially because I'm running a quite old system, I am not interested
in (or depending on) the new magical autodetection and autoconfiguration
stuff - because it simply doesn't work for my hardware. I can't even
set my screen size to 1400x1050 as I could in "old" XFree86, so I have
to use xrandr. I always liked FreeBSD and its additional software for
NOT having to mess around with in such a way. But maybe I'm just
old-fashioned. :-)

> If something has changed which then causes problems to end users, then that
> is not good. And it's no good telling people "use PCBSD" or something else.

PC-BSD has its own set of problems. Different ones, I agree, but they do
exist. Especially the bad german internationalisation of KDE comes into
mind. And you have to use quite up-to-date hardware.

> That's not what we want. We want to use FreeBSD on the desktop.

Exactly.

> Don't try and put people off using FreeBSD. It would be much better to help
> them resolves the problems they are having.

I agree with this, and it's the purpose of this helpful and polite
mailing list. But it requires that users who seek help do this in
a certain way. Things like "OS bashing" do not help. But I can understand
the wish to express feelings of disappointment. I just question if
this mailing list is the place to do so.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0