Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2006 11:58:17 -0500
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDstats Project v2.0 ...

On Tuesday 08 August 2006 9:17 am, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> But, there is no such ting as an 'index number' ... when everyone reports
> in next month, for instance, there is no 'number' that will be re-used
> for them that matches something used this month ...

What about:

    indexnumber=$(md5 -q /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key.pub)

That file gets generated the first time a host is booted with
sshd_enable="YES" and almost never changes afterward.  Also, literally
every BSD machine I've ever touched has sshd enabled (although usually
severely locked down), and I suspect that's true for most people.
--
Kirk Strauser