Date:      Fri, 9 Oct 1998 11:28:43 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Marc Evans <marc@destek.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq Proliant 5000 supported?

On Thu, 08 Oct 1998 at 12:25 SAT, Marc Evans wrote:

> I have been scouring your WWW site trying to determine the answer to this
> question, and as of yet have not found one. Can you tell me if any version
> of FreeBSD (likely 3.*) can be used on a Compaq Proliant 5000, including the
> "Smart-2" RAID controller? If so, is there any information available to me
> online that would help me in determining other issues I may encounter if
> I were to try to install and use the OS on this platform?

Installing FreeBSD on a Compaq is, in my experience, usually a painful
procedure, due to the fact that Compaqs are just that little bit removed from
"generic" PCs.  For one thing, it's unlikely that that RAID controller will
be supported.  Any idea what chipset it uses?  Another thing to watch out for
is the on-board NIC, which might also not be supported, depending on the
chipset.

-- V

Johann Visagie | wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878 | ICQ: 20645559