Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 17:24:29 -0500
From:      "Koftan, Ryan" <Ryan.Koftan@COMPAQ.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   LapTop PCMCIA Etherlink III

Hello,

I'm kinda new to BSD (just got the stuff today) but have worked with SCO and
Redhat before to some extent...so I'm not an idiot, just a newbie.

I'm trying to get a Digital HiNote VP laptop notebook with a 3COM EtherLink
III (model number 3c589c) PCMCIA card to work.  The card is not identifed by
the installation and the only error message I get on startup is:

Initial rc.i386 initialization: linuxep0: No irq?!
pccardd[42] driver allocation failed for 3COM Corporation(3c589): Device not
configured
pccardd[42]: pccarddd started

I'd gladly give ep0 and IRQ if I knew where to configure it!  AND I'd
configure the 3c589 device if I knew what to do.

The card and the rest of the computer works fine under a "different" OS, so
I know it's not a hardware error.

What *should* be my next step in
a) figuring out the problem
b) getting this ethernet card to work on this laptop.

I guess a and b are kinda the same....

If someone could steer me in the right direction...better yet, just tell me
what to do.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan