Date:      Thu, 06 May 2004 16:00:42 +0900
From:      SUZUKI Shinsuke <suz@crl.hitachi.co.jp>
To:        Lukasz.Stelmach@telmark.waw.pl
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: if_stf bug/feature

Hello, and Sorry for a delayed answer.

> stf interface has one feature, very inconvinient for me. As far as i could
> read the source it returns ENETDOWN if the inet4 address of the machine's
> net interface (primary or the one would be used) does not match proper
> part of stf's address. This is ok if one has public, routable ip4 address.
> Since my machine is behind a firewall that forwards and nats all proto
> 41 ip packets I'd rather stf didn't complain about it.
>
> Now what would you suggest? I may comment out the "if" in if_stf.c:348.
> However this check should be done in general but there also should be
> some at-runtime method to overide it (maybe sysctl
> net.inet6.ip6.strictstfaddr?).

6to4 is not designed for a node with private IPv4 address, as is
hexplicitly stated in section 2 of RFC3056.

   Suppose that a subscriber site has at least one valid, globally
   unique 32-bit IPv4 address, referred to in this document as V4ADDR.
   This address MUST be duly allocated to the site by an address
   registry (possibly via a service provider) and it MUST NOT be a
   private address [RFC 1918].

So my suggestion to tackle such situation in FreeBSD-4.x is either of
the following two.

	- configure a static gif tunnel toward a site.

	  Although it's a "static" tunnel, some site provides a tool
          to automatically configure gif tunnel even behind NAT
          (e.g. ports/net/freenet6)

	- enable 6to4 on your NAT-box and let it advertise an IPv6
          prefix (if not possible, please ask the vendor to support
          such feature! :-))

Thanks,
----
SUZUKI, Shinsuke @ Hitachi / KAME Project