Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2006 18:02:14 -0400
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Chris T. <cdtelting-ml@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Configure postfix to forward to isp smtp server?

On Jul 26, 2006, at 5:46 PM, Chris T. wrote:
> I am trying to create a home mail gateway.  First thing is getting
> it to relay messages to my ISP as if I had connected directly to
> the isp in the first place.

Set:

relayhost = [mailserver.isp.net]

...in main.cf.

> That is without adding any information to headers to reveal that it
> went through my smtp server.

It's a requirement for MTAs to add Received: headers as the mail
passes through them to avoid mailing loops.  Trying to subvert this
is a bad idea...

> I also want to create a repositry of sent email for logging
> purposes.  I'm trying to look up the documentation and searching
> for messages that would answer what I want to do but it's a chicken
> and egg senerio in that I don't know the correct terms for the
> answers to search to find the answers.  Any help is appreciated.

Normally, your mail client will keep track of all Sent messages if
you configure it properly.  That's a better choice than having the
MTA do it, but you can look into the content_filter mechanism to
archive mail which passes through if you really want to do so.

--
-Chuck